Steve's World Blog Information and articles on cities, towns and villages around the world.

June 19, 2017

Huddersfield West Yorkshire

Filed under: England,History,Travel,United Kingdom — Tags: , , — needahand @ 10:05 am

Huddersfield West Yorkshire: One of the largest “towns” in England, Huddersfield is located within the county of West Yorkshire, formerly known as the West Riding of Yorkshire. Huddersfield has a population of approaching 169,000 meaning it is a very big town by UK standards. Over the centuries Huddersfield has been a mostly industrial town for many years relying on its mills, which produced wool, linen and textiles to be exported all over the UK and in fact all over the world. Today, Huddersfield is still mostly industrial, though its biggest employer is the well known University of Huddersfield. Several famous people have been born in Huddersfield the most notable being former Prime Minister of Britain, Harold Wilson and the famous Hollywood actor James Mason. Huddersfield is situated roughly midway between the cities of Manchester and Leeds and sits just off the M62 motorway, which is the easiest road from which to access it. Places to visit in Huddersfield include the Tolson Museum, the North Light Gallery, the Colne Valley Museum and the Smith Art Gallery.

June 2, 2017

Princes Risborough Buckinghamshire

Filed under: England,Facts,History,United Kingdom — Tags: , , , — needahand @ 2:31 pm

Princes Risborough Buckinghamshire – The charming little town of Princes Risborough lies at the foot of the Chilterns in the county of Buckinghamshire in England. Princes Risborough is a historic market town which was settled long before the Norman conquest due to its ideal position on the route between the Icknield Way and the River Thames, providing easy access through a handy gap in the Chiltern Hills range. The weekly market dates from the reign of Henry VIII, when he bestowed a charter on the town enabling it to both hold a Thursday street market and also to hold two annual fairs, which have been held in the town ever since. The fairs are held in the months of May and October and are popular with the people of the town and from the many surrounding villages including Monks Risborough, Great Kimble, Little Kimble and Horsenden. Princes Risborough enjoys a temperate climate with weather influenced by the surrounding Chiltern Hills, it has a resident population of around 8,000 and is located roughly midway between Aylesbury (the county town of Buckinghamshire) and High Wycombe (see map).

August 21, 2015

Stowmarket Suffolk

Filed under: England,Facts,History,Travel,United Kingdom — Tags: , , , — needahand @ 11:56 am

Stowmarket Suffolk England: Stowmarket is a town of 15,059 inhabitants and is located in the county of Suffolk. This town is on the A14 between Bury St Edmunds and Ipswich and on the railway between London and Norwich. It is the largest town in Mid Suffolk, on the banks of the River Gipping which is joined by the River Rat further south. The town takes its name from “Stow” an Anglo-Saxon word meaning “main square”. Stowmarket received a charter to hold a market in 1347 from Edward III of England, which added the “market” suffix to the town’s name. Even today, a bi-weekly market is held on Thursdays and Saturdays. The county of Suffolk has an area of almost 1,500 square miles and a population of 730,000.

February 27, 2015

Kings Lynn Norfolk Review

Filed under: England,Facts,History,United Kingdom — Tags: , , — needahand @ 10:31 am

King’s Lynn Norfolk Review – The Georgian age endures in most of King’s Lynn in East Anglia, in a range of smart facades everywhere in the old heart of the town. And yet King’s Lynn, or ‘Lynn’ as it is most often called by natives, is far more olden than the eighteenth century. Lying on the east bank of the River Great Ouse, it was already a harbour by the time of the 1086 Domesday Book, at which time it was known as Luna or Lena It was granted a charter in 1204 by King John, and by thirteen forty seven it was prosperous enough to supply nineteen ships for the English fleet, at a time that London supplied twenty four.

In the Dark Ages the town was referred to as Bishop’s Lynn in fifteen thirty seven the title was altered to King’s Lynn by order of King Henry VIII. The church of St Margaret’s was originally constructed in around 1100, and it is an assortment of architectural styles, it has a ‘Gothic’ nave put up in the mid-18th century, as a storm sent the spire crashing down across the earlier nave. The Town Hall, near the church, was at first the Holy Trinity Guildhall, erected in the early 15th century.

King’s Lynn’s treasure is presented in the Regalia RoomsRooms in the medieval undercroft. The St George’s Guildhall, in King Street, was constructed in the early 14th century and is proclaimed to be the greatest medieval guildhall in the country to have survived undamaged. It is owned by the National Trust and serves as the HQ of Lynn’s annual summer time fair. The theatre in the upper area of the Guildhall carries on an ancient theatrical tradition, and it’s claimed that Shakespeare himself had performances there. Both the Guildhall and Town Hall are built of flint in an outstanding black and white chequer pattern.

Map of Norfolk East Anglia

May 21, 2013

Alcudia Majorca A Brief History

Filed under: Balearic Islands,History,Spain — Tags: , , , , , , — needahand @ 5:23 pm

A Brief History of Alcudia Majorca – We have heard that the human occupation of Alcudia occurred in PreTalayotic period (2000-1200 BC). The talayots megalithic constructions that give name to the culture talayotic (1200 -123 BC) are found in the area. Of that still today we highlight the village of Son Simon. The Roman consul Quintus Caecilius Metellus joined Mallorca to the Roman Republic in 123 BC and founded the cities of Palma and Pollentia. The archaeological remains of the city of Pollentia, located a few meters from the centre of Alcudia, demonstrate the growing economic prosperity that the city enjoyed, stately houses, a theatre, shops and other public and private buildings are good examples. The barbarian invasions in the fifth century took Pollentia into a process of decay and destruction. The Vandals sacked the city between 425 and 455, suggested by evidence found in archaeological excavations. In 902, the Arabs conquered Mallorca and it was incorporated in the Emirate of Cordoba. In 1015 it became part of the Taifa of Denia. During Muslim rule (902-1229) Alcudia was called El Alqueria, which means the hill, and some names like Guinyent, Biniatria, or Gatamoix Alcanada are faithful witnesses of Muslim domination. After the addition of Mallorca in the Crown of Aragon in 1229, King James I divided the island into 8 parts, four were left to the monarch himself and the other four were for nobles who had helped in the conquest of the island. From 1298 construction of the first city walls began, which ended in 1362. The walls served to protect not only the town but also the north of the island. The town of Alcudia has a layout of medieval enclosures, conditioned by two walls that surround it. The streets are narrow and irregular, some buildings still have characteristic elements of the heyday of the city and are of great architectural value.  Alcudia today is a popular tourist destination, in particular the port area, where visitors enjoy the sunny weather and the fine beaches.

See maps of places in Majorca here: http://www.majorca.spayn.co.uk

June 4, 2012

St Austell Cornwall

Filed under: England,History,United Kingdom — Tags: , , , , , , — needahand @ 2:55 pm

St Austell is a town on the southern coast of the English county of Cornwall, England. In 2001 St Austell had 22,658 inhabitants and is the largest town in Cornwall. After the 18th Century large kaolin deposits had been discovered, creating a significant kaolin industry. By about 1850 the St Austell Clay District employed some 7,000 men, women and children. In the town itself is the St Austell Brewery, producing traditional ale supplies. The brewery has since 1893 been held by the founding family. In 2003, the brewery tried the first whiskey distilling in Cornwall. The first bottles of the relatively small production went on sale in 2011. Near to St Austell are a number of towns and coastal resorts, important for tourism in the area, these include Par, Mevagissey, Polperro and Looe.

Get the weather for St Austell here: http://www.10-day-weather.co.uk/st-austell.html

April 6, 2012

Sherborne Dorset

Filed under: England,History,United Kingdom — Tags: , , , , — needahand @ 2:26 pm

Sherborne Dorset – Sherborne is a small town in the county of Dorset in southern England, located on the River Yeo, 6 kilometres from the town of Yeovil (Somerset). Sherborne had 9,350 inhabitants in 2001, it is in the District of West Dorset and has a variety of historic buildings and schools, the best known of which is Sherborne School. The town takes its name from scir burne (Old English) as “a clear river source”. Origins of the town date back to the 7th Century, Sherborne was an important town and religious centre of Wessex, one of the seven kingdoms of England. Saxonian King Alfred’s older brothers Athelbald of Wessex and Athelberht of Wessex are buried in the abbey  (Sherborne Abbey). Sherborne is located close to Dorset’s border with Somerset, to the east of Yeovil and to the north of Dorchester. Sherborne is the 9th largest town in Dorset.

See a map of Dorset here: http://www.my-towns.co.uk/dorset-map.html

April 5, 2012

Harlow Essex

Filed under: England,History,United Kingdom — Tags: , , , , , — needahand @ 3:25 pm

Harlow Essex – Harlow is a town in Essex in south-east England. It was created in 1947 as a New Town from the towns of Harlow, Great Parndon, Latton, Little Parndon and Netteswell and today with some 80,000 inhabitants, is one of the largest north-eastern suburbs of London. Administratively, Harlow is both a town and district in Essex. Harlow was the first British town, which was equipped with a pedestrian zone in the town, also here in 1951 was the first residential tower in the country, now a listed building. Harlow is located approximately 30 km northeast of London’s city centre. It has a highway access to the M11 (London-Cambridge) and a station on the London-Cambridge line.The Harlow area has been inhabited since the Neolithic period, in Parndon was found an axe, which was dated to about 6000 BC. The place name Harlow indicates a foundation by the Anglo-Saxons. Harlow was in the Magna Carta and was mentioned as a typical rural village. Harlow is situated to the north-west of Chelmsford and also to the north-west of Brentwood.

View a map of Harlow, Essex here: http://www.my-towns.co.uk/harlow-map.html

March 23, 2012

Pineda de Mar Early History

Filed under: Costa Brava,History,Spain — Tags: , , — needahand @ 2:23 pm

Pineda de Mar Early History – Though today a modern tourist resort Pineda de Mar on the Costa Maresme has a long history which started even before the Romans arrived in Spain. Several remains of the Iberian period (fourth century BC) found in different parts of the town of Pineda de Mar (Montpalau Hill and near Mas Castellar) testify to the settlement in the area since time immemorial. The Iberian settlements are quite numerous throughout the Costa Maresme, the towns of the Laietans tribe, whose territory occupied the entire coastal strip from the Llobregat to Tordera stood in small promontories far from the coast. The intense process of Romanization of the region from the first century BC led to the gradual occupation of the coastal zone around Pineda de Mar, with numerous villas built along the coast, making the most of easy access by way of the Via Augusta, which led to Barcelona. In Pineda de Mar there are remains of an important Roman villa, Can Roig, where an aqueduct of four arches which are still quite visible near to Cua Can.

Pineda de Mar Map.

Get lots more information for Pineda del Mar here: http://www.needahandspanishproperties.com/pineda-de-mar.html

May 3, 2011

Ilfracombe North Devon

Filed under: England,History,Holidays,United Kingdom — Tags: , — needahand @ 2:01 pm

A large and popular seaside resort located on the north coast of Devon, in the United Kingdom, Ilfracombe first developed around an Iron Age hillfort, established on a nearby hill. Its sheltered position, protecting it from the worst of the region’s stormy weather, led to its becoming an important seaport, and it was used for a number of naval sorties over the centuries. Making its income mostly from fishing for many years Ilfracombe has, since Victorian times become popular as a seaside holiday resort. The Victorian used it for sea bathing after tunnels were dug to several of its shingle beaches. These days it attracts holidaymakers, who enjoy its charming and attractive harbour, good climate and weather, superb coastal walks, boat trips and sea fishing trips. Catch up on the local history of Ilfracombe at the Ilfracombe Museum, where you will find interesting facts about the town’s maritime history, and also see a collection of model ships and steamers, which have sailed the Devon coast through the centuries.

April 29, 2011

Wokingham Berkshire

Filed under: England,History,United Kingdom — Tags: , , , — needahand @ 8:54 am

A busy rural market town located in the near to Reading in the county of Berkshire, United Kingdom, Wokingham has around 30,403 inhabitants. The history of the town harps back to Anglo-Saxon times, when it was a small settlement surrounded by oak trees. Wokingham still has some old Georgian houses and some pretty half-timbered cottages, if you search down some of the back streets, and the town itself is still quite attractive, and well worth a visit, if you are in the Berkshire area. At one time having a significant brick-making industry, and even longer ago, a bell foundry and silk manufacture, it now relies on more modern businesses such as computer software design. The St Paul’s parish church is not that old by English standards and was only built in the 1860’s. A nice place for a stroll when the weather is fine is the pretty Agates Meadow. Other nearby places include Crowthorne, Binfield and Bracknell.

April 21, 2011

Lyme Regis Dorset

Filed under: England,History,Travel,United Kingdom — Tags: , , — needahand @ 3:12 pm

A charming little coastal resort on Lyme Bay in West Dorset, Lyme Regis was a significant medieval port which became a holiday resort during the eighteenth century. It was awarded it royal title “Regis” by Edward I in the late 13th century. The harbour, which became a haven for vessels in stormy weather, it protected by a wall called “The Cobb”, which also allowed the port to build and launch ships. The ill-fated Monmouth Rebellion to overthrow James I, began here in 1685, after the Duke of Monmouth landed there. Lyme Regis was a popular area for smugglers during centuries past and later featured in two books, Jane Austen’s “Persuasion” and John Fowls “The French Lieutenant’s Woman” (later made into a film starring Jeremy Irons and Meryl Streep. Lyme Regis and neighbouring Charmouth are two of the best areas for fossils, this being part of the Jurassic Coast Heritage Coast of Dorset.

Older Posts »

Powered by WordPress